Updated 01/23/08 — I recently reviewed the waterproof version of this mascara and I strongly prefer it over the original formula. You can check out the review here: Waterproof Lash Blast Review. For my review of the non-waterproof formula, please read on…
What is Cover Girl Lash Blast Mascara? CoverGirl Lash Blast is CoverGirl’s most recent answer to Maybelline’s Define-a-Lash and Revlon’s 3D Extreme. With its extra-large, rubber-bristled brush and patented volumizing formula, Lash Blast promises to “max out” lashes for the “ultimate big lash look.”
So does Lash Blast work? This mascara works…but it’s not a superstar.
- Length and Volume. In addition to offering decent length, Lash Blast offers respectable volume that’s superior to most non-waterproof, volumizing drugstore mascaras.
- Mostly smear-proof and smudge-resistant.
- Clump-free. Feel free to load this stuff on. It takes a lot to make it clump.
- Ease of Removal. Comes off easily with soap (or in my case, Cetaphil) and water.
- Loosens Lash Curl. Though not as big of a problem for Lash Blast as it is for most non-waterproof drugstore mascaras, I found that this mascara still uncurled my lashes slightly. The good news is that this problem can be remedied somewhat by “over-curling” your lashes and then allowing the Lash Blast to loosen the curl a bit.
- Some flaking after about 6-8 hours of regular wear.
- Brush Design. Though the uncommonly big brush does a good job of thoroughly coating lashes and preventing clumps, the lack of a tapered tip on this blunt-ended brush makes it a little difficult to get to those tiny and corner lashes. This isn’t a deal-breaker, but I feel like it’s a significant enough detail that CoverGirl shouldn’t have overlooked it.
The Bottom Line on CoverGirl Lash Blast Mascara: The curling issue prevents me from fully endorsing Lash Blast as a drugstore alternative to Too Faced Lash Injection, which I’ve grown to really like. In all other respects, however, the two products are actually pretty similar.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly deal on a volumizing mascara that’s easy to remove, Covergirl Lash Blast is a good choice.
Covergirl Lash Blast is available for about $7 from wherever you get your drugstore beauty fix.
Has anyone else tried Covergirl Lash Blast? What do you think of it?
More Mascara Reviews: